Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Experiment: Chutney - Peanut chutney

Today's evening tiffin is our traditional Idli but with peanut chutney. Refer Indira's recipe

I omitted onions and garlic and instead of a cup of peanuts added 5 fistfuls. Instead of 5 red chillis just a single red chilli and generous amount of tamarind paste. It was most funny to roast a single red chilli. Salt as usual is "kan dittam" - as per my eye's measurement. It is tasting lovely! Thanks Indira.

One tip on taking the skins off the peanuts. In India we winnow it out. That is - after roasting peanuts simply crush with hand to remove skins then, spread a newspaper and winnow the husk out. How to winnow - hold the plate and move it up and down (huh - it is too darned difficult to explain these things!!!) - husk will come to the front, that is all. We call it "podaikkaradu" in Tamil with a plate like thing called "muram". We remove husk from rice and aval/nel pori (kurmura) this way mostly.

3 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

U have a lovely way of explaining. Nice blog

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Thanks for dropping by Shankari. You have a nice blog too - I followed yours as well, but may be did not add it to my links and lost it some days back!!! Nowadays that is what I have become with too much free time - blogaddict!!! ;-)

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Revathi said...

Hi Vasundhara
I am in ur blog first time. cool. I started smiling after reading "substituted 1 chilly instead of 5 " from indira's recipe. I can completely associate myself to that situation.

My husband is a telugu and I am from chennai. he prefers spiiiiiccyy food whereas I am direct opposite. His scale of 10 chillies is 1 on mine.

Cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home