Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cabbage Molagoottal

Aparna had been asking me to post some of the traditional items in our family. And, today I did try something traditional out of something unusual. I have never seen molagoottal with cabbage (only with all vegetables or green leaves - keerai). Initially wanted to make cabbage thoran, but there was nothing to make a gravy from and the summer heat was really making us sick (by giving us a cold!), so instead thought of making something with pepper - hence molagoottal.

---For 2 people---
Cabbage - 2 cups
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Red chillies - 2-3 (up to your liking)
Black Pepper seeds (Peppercorns) - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Salt - per taste
Gingelly oil /sesame oil - 1/4 tsp
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Shredded coconut - 3 tbsp
Asafoetida - a pinch

1) Cut cabbage, mix with turmeric, salt and steam (I don't pressure cook it as it tends to overcook it. When I don't pressure cook, I add salt after vegetables are somewhat cooked)

2) Roast Red chillies, peppercorns and urad dal in 1/4 tsp of gingelly oil till urad dal is light brown. Remove and cool.

3) Pressure cook toor dal

4) Grind the roasted chillies, peppercorns, urad dal with shredded coconut

5) When cabbage is cooked, add cooked toor dal and the ground mixture. Keep on medium-hi flame for 5 more mins

6) For tempering, heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves and a tbsp of shredded coconut. Once coconut is decently fried, pour it on the cabbage.

Simple. Molagoottal is same as porichcha koottu minus the fried coconut tempering! Can be made with other veggies such as Avaraikkai (snow peas/sno peas), Podalangai (Snake guard), Elavan/pooshinikkai (white pumpkin), Mathan/parangikkai (red pumpkin/banana squash), chenai (yam), vazhakkai (raw banana/plaintain), peas, carrots, chow chow (chayote squash). Generally does not have beans/cucumber varieties though, but it is really up to us. Keerai molagottal is also called keerai masiyal.

13 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Vaishali said...

Hi Vasundhara,
I came across your blog only today, and I saw that I am already on your blog roll. Thanks for linking me. I will do the same now, so that I can visit your blog regularly.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Thanks for dropping by Vaishali and thanks for adding me on the rolls - Egad! That means I gotta answer roll call with something good regularly!!! :-)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Sumitha said...

My first visit to your blog Vasundhara!I make cabbage differently from how you do,must try your version,sounds nice.Happy cooking!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Pav said...

Hey Vasundhara,
I stumbled upon ur blog while browsing Vaishali's blog. I love this recipe. Good one there !! Hope to see more coming from you :)

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Krithika said...

First time visitor. You have a nice blog.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Sumitha, Mythili, Krithika:
Thanks for dropping by. Yes, this is a simple health-food type of a recipe! Do let me know if you tried it.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Vasundhara,
Nice recipe. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Hi MT,
Thanks for dropping by. Liked ur site as well.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger archana said...

Hi Vasundhara,
Cabbage molagoottal sounds very novel !!!!! Thank you for the recipe. Will visit your blog more often

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Vasundhara,
Cabbage Molagoottal looks yummy.
thanks for sharing.
Vineela

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Hi Vineela, Archana :
Thanks for dropping by and your comments. Me a little down under weather so not cooking much. Should be back with more recipes after couple of days.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Pravs said...

Hi, i tried this curry for lunch today. Turned out very tasty. I think you can make same curry with red cabbage too.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Vasundhara, Nice of you to share the method of molagoottals. I have imbibed from my Mom (she has now reched Lord's feet 3 years ago). We use Jeera also for frying alongwith the mixture. Also, we use Udad Dal and Mustard seeds together for seasoning. It gives the molagoottals an inviting aroma to savour with. Kudos for sharing the traditional recipes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home