Monday, July 17, 2006

Experiment: Maharashtrian snacks

Ok, my experiments started with the famous Sabudana Khichdi and Solkadi. The combo is great actually, but, the khichdi became a mess - I guess am not yet too familiar with various types of Sabudana - this one became rather gooey. Lessons learnt: Don't soak it - just wet it and let it remain for 2-3 hours. Solkadi was lovely, refreshing - thanks Nupur. And, what was hit all the way with our friends as well was Misal with bread(no Pav here so) and a minimal Bhelpuri to make it a Chaat dinner for us yesterday!

6 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

hi vasundhara, same pinch the fist time it looked like javarasi khool, I was soo depressed, then a friend's MIL taught me the tricks...better luck next time!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Shilpa said...

Vasundhara, you have to soak the sabudana in water for 30mins and leave it for overnight (in a covered vessel). Should not use water while cooking it (have a look at my site). It will turn out best this way, I learnt this way recently from one of my readers.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Gee...long time since I visited the food blog world.

Shankari - Yea...I hope better luck next time.

mj - Thanks for dropping by

Shilpa - I'll try that the next time around.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Nupur said...

I'm so glad you tried the solkadi and misal! Thanks for the post :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Thank you Nupur for dropping by. Shall be trying more of Maharashtrian cooking.....thanks to ur site! :-)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The trick mentioned about sabudana to leave overnite works wonders.. i have tried it, but with a bit off difference, instead of soaking it for 30 minutes, i soaked them completely, but with water just enough to immerse them all.(Dont drown them ;))

In the morning when u open teh covered vessel the sabudana is big and swollen.. and tastes yumm once the kicihdi is made.. and certainly not gooy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home