Sunday, July 16, 2006

Chutneys/Thogayals : Peerkangai tholi thogayal

In the recipe for watermelon dosas, Ashwini was telling how the women of the household used even the white part of watermelons. Instantly I was reminded of two things - one a story called "Seventeen Oranges" where the little boy gobbles up seventeen oranges with the peels and pips and all after having been caught red-handed AND before he could be questioned so that he could remove all evidence of having stolen!!! :-) And the other, how my mother never wasted Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd).

There are many variations of Ridge Gourd curries as in here. But, my mother used to make Peerkangai koottu without the skin and used the skin for a chutney like thing called thogayal. I made the same combo yesterday it became a hit with K.

Ingredients
Peerkangai skin - 1 - 1.5 cups (Discard the ridge portions and use the remaining)

For powder
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Red chillies - 2 (Depends on your taste)
Peppercorns - 1/4 tsp (Optional)
Tamarind - gumball size (Depends on your taste)
Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Gingelli oil

1. Roast the powder items except Tamarind and salt in Gingelli oil (Sesame oil) till Urad dal turns brown. Remove and let cool. Grind along with tamarind in a coffee grinder/mixer.

2. Saute the Peerkangai skin in 2-3 tsp of oil for 5 min. No need to add water, it will become tender by itself. Medium heat should be enough. Let cool.

3. Grind along with the powder till the skin is mashed - the mixers out here do a poor job of it though!!! No need to add water, but then, these mixers are bad and you might need a wee little bit (or some more oil may be!!!) Add salt.

This is great with idlis, dosas, even chappatis or my all time favourite curd rice!!! This type of thogayal, unlike fresh chutneys will last long if you don't add water. The powder is the same for almost all thogayals except Chenai(Yam)!!!

10 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ashwini said...

You know I read about this in Hemant Trivedi's site and was so tempted to try it. Now I am going to use your recipe. Looks fab.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Let me know how it turns out. Mine rather looks like chutney podi (chutney powder)

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow!!! I didn't know tat the skin can b used as well.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Shammi said...

Oh, I remember that story about the boy who ate 17 oranges!! I think it was a lesson in my English text book! :) I havent thought about it in years, but your post brought back memories :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Pushpa, yeah - try and let me know.

Shammi - I think it was non-detail and it was not in syllabus for our juniors! So, we were the last batch to have that I suppose!

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Shammi said...

Vasundhara, do you remember the name of the author of 17 Oranges? please say you do! :) It's been driving me crazy!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Shammi - Nope dear! I don't remember the author :-( But a great story right!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is Zucchini the same as Melugu Peerkangai ?

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger appalam vadaam said...

Raj,

I don't know "Melugu peerkangai", but, zucchini is more like vellarikkai or cucumber.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was so impressed with the concept of Negative Calorie Foods I was eating a salad of Negative fruits and vegetables for Dinner and nothing else.I was also attracted by tasty fruits like Mango,Apple Pineapple,Papaya.
My sleeping was frequently disturbed and after 2 months I gave it up.
Anyone with similar experience ? Was I too hasty to give it up ?
Raj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home